July 26–August 14, 2016 • Lawrence, Kansas
- Dido and Aeneas by Henry Purcell
- Incidental music from The Fairy Queen
- The Bard’s Tale: Opera & Words from William Shakespeare
- Where There’s a Will, There’s a Shake
[highlight]April 26 and 27, 2016 • 5:00–9:00 p.m. CDT[/highlight]
[highlight]May 1, 2016 • 5:00–9:00 p.m. CDT[/highlight]
Auditions held in Lawrence and Tucson only. If unable to attend the audition, accepted applicants may submit a video via YouTube.
You may apply to audition for the 2016 season of LOT by going to
- You will need to register for at the site above to be able to complete an audition form. Registering costs nothing.
- Auditions do carry a fee of $27 and a pianist will be provided. Please note that this fee for the audition is non-refundable and does not guarantee an audition opportunity or placement in the company.
- [highlight]Apply by Tuesday April 19, 2016 11:59:59 CDT[/highlight]
- Application fee ($27 USD)
- Open to all ages
Audition Locations and Dates
|Lawrence, KS USA:||Tue 26th Apr 2016 – Wed 27th Apr 2016 CDT at Theatre Lawrence, 4600 Bauers Farm Dr, Lawrence, KS|
|Tucson, AZ USA:||Sun 1st May 2016 at The University of Arizona, Fred Fox School of Music,1017 N. Olive Rd, Tucson, AZ|
|If unable to attend the audition, accepted applicants may submit a video via YouTube.|
There is no age limit on age to audition. Nobody is too young or too old. High school students, members of the community in both singing and acting are encouraged to apply.
1. Prepare two (2) selections of contrasting styles and languages. One selection can be from the musical theatre or operetta repertoire. Successful applicants will keep the 2016 productions in mind when choosing selections.
- Applicants interested in a principal role in Dido and Aeneas or Opera Scenes are required to prepare four (4) selections, with an aria as one of their selections. One selection can be from the musical theatre or operetta repertoire.
- For consideration for only the Musical Theatre Cabaret Program, prepare two (2) selections from the musical theatre or operetta repertoire. One must be a ballad and the other an upbeat.
- For consideration for only Opera Chorus, prepare one (1) selection.
- Stage presence, characterization, movement, and the candidate’s ability to interact with the public will be taken into consideration equally with vocal and stylistic qualities. Please keep this in mind when choosing your selections.
1. Prepare (2) monologues of contrast from the canon of Shakespeare or his contemporaries
2. If actor wishes to sing, prepare 1 selection
For Video auditions:
SINGERS- Read above audition requirements for a live audition
ACTORS- Read above audition requirements for a live audition
Yes, you may bring your own accompanist if you wish. Doing so does NOT change the audition fee.
The 2016 shows will include Lawrence Opera’s version of Dido and Aeneas. Artists may also have an opportunity to cover and perform scenes from the production at other venues. Also included in the season are other selections in both word and music celebrating the anniversary of the birth of William Shakespeare.
Artists selected are expected to have roles, cover roles, and assignments learned by the first rehearsal.
The mission of Lawrence Opera Theatre
Lawrence Opera Theatre lives by the saying, “If music be the food of love, play on” (Shakespeare).
Our mission is to fill in the void of opera during the summer season in the Lawrence and Topeka area.
We believe in the power of text, music and great art in opera and musical theatre.
Lawrence Opera Theatre exists to provide a broad spectrum of music, drama and cultural service to Lawrence, Douglas County, and the entire state of Kansas.
We also provide a venue to singing professionals, emerging vocal artists, and community singers to perform and gain experience.
- No payment for services is provided.
- Some housing may be arranged for individuals that selected if they do not live in the Topeka/Lawrence/Kansas City area
Hugo A. Vera, D.M.A.
Director, Lawrence Opera Theatre